+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big port 4AGE or small port 4AGE?

Default Big port 4AGE or small port 4AGE?

Hey guys im looking at buying a new head for my car but i dont if i should just buy another big port head or buy a complete small port engine i got a blue top at the moment but i want power and dont know which i should go for. iv got these mods as well maybe someone can tell what these mods would be best for what engine, 4-2-1 extrtactors,full 2 1/4 exhaust,intake pipe and pod filter,264 duriation cams , and a chip which tells the ECU that the air is always cold ,but the cams are not in yet thats why im asking if i should swap evry thing over to a small port or not ?

Get a small port. If u can find one in good condition for a good price, pick the small port up. You can run a blue top ECU with a small port, but max power can be realised unless the smallport ecu is in (loom etc) dont worry about the chip thats a waste of money...just get cams, pod, CAI, extractors, zorst and advance timing up to around 16 degrees at idle. that should be a beast. moderators should confirm just tobe 100% sure.

Yea iv done quite alot of research today and think i myte look for a small port engine and whats CAI?

Cold Air Induction

www.PhoenixImportsAustralia.com For all your import needs!

Now, all the internals in the small ports are stronger than the big ports? Or are they lighter? I know the block for the small port got four more structural reinforcement ribs, but are the con rods or is the crank beefier? The small port increased compression over the big port, no?

I don't like playing engineer. Driving is dangerous enough already. If you want more power, you might think about a full-blown GZE or 20-valve swap.
    Be fearless. Fear leads to panic, and it's panic that kills. Your inhibitions are a hazard.

Donating Member Hiro Protagonist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by racejasonulose View Post
    Now, all the internals in the small ports are stronger than the big ports? Or are they lighter? I know the block for the small port got four more structural reinforcement ribs, but are the con rods or is the crank beefier? The small port increased compression over the big port, no?

I don't like playing engineer. Driving is dangerous enough already. If you want more power, you might think about a full-blown GZE or 20-valve swap.
    Red/blacktop bigports have the 7-rib block as well, same size big and small ends as the smallport. Bluetop bigports have the 3-rib block and smaller internals. Not sure if red/blacktops and smallports have the same pistons though, as they have different comp. ratios

So the small port's internals are beefier than those in the big ports. So it's probably not a good idea to run the small port head with the weaker block and internals of the big port. Unless you like blowing up. . .
    Be fearless. Fear leads to panic, and it's panic that kills. Your inhibitions are a hazard.

I don't think you read Hiro's post right. Bigports and smallports both have the 7 rib block if they're red/blacktops but the bluetops have the 3 rib block. I have a bluetop and, maybe it's just because my mate's was a freak motor but I don't think so, mine just doesn't go anywhere near as hard as his redtop bigport or my old smallport. Could it be the Japspec ecu though?
    Kramer, I reckon you should try to find a neat smallport but I don't know much. Some of the other guys will be able to tell you. I recommend the 20 valve too. Is good fun.
    1973 KE20 2 Door Sedan
    1971 KE25 Coupe
    1984 KE70 Panelvan
    1987 AE82 Hatch
    1985 AE82 FX-GT
    1987-2008 AE82 20v Hatch RIP
    1984 KE70 Wagon
    1992 AE93 SX Hatch

http://www.ae82ownersclub.com/showthread.php?t=1033

http://www.ae82ownersclub.com/showthread.php?t=561

http://www.ae82ownersclub.com/showthread.php?t=348

Quote Originally Posted by queen20v
    Could it be the Japspec ecu though?
    doubt it..there ECU's are tuned for higher RON fuel then ours..unless you were running octane booster you probably wouldn't have had the full power if it were JAP spec ECU.

kramer2202: definatly get a smallport IMO..i believe the 7 ribbed bigports are hard to find..heck ive seen heaps of bigports and none have been 7 ribbers.then all you need is GZE pistons and a turbo..plus the smallports had oil squirter's aswell where i dont believe the 7 ribbed version bigports had them.

I had no idea that the smallports have extra oil squirters. Thought that was only the gzes? What about the 20v?
    1973 KE20 2 Door Sedan
    1971 KE25 Coupe
    1984 KE70 Panelvan
    1987 AE82 Hatch
    1985 AE82 FX-GT
    1987-2008 AE82 20v Hatch RIP
    1984 KE70 Wagon
    1992 AE93 SX Hatch

http://www.ae82ownersclub.com/showthread.php?t=1033

http://www.ae82ownersclub.com/showthread.php?t=561

http://www.ae82ownersclub.com/showthread.php?t=348

+ Reply to Thread